For a pdf version of my CV, click here
- Fall 2021- : Associate Instructional Professor, Committee on International Relations, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Faculty Fellow, University of Chicago Kiphart Center for Global Health and Social Development (Summer 2022)
- 2020-21 AY: Visiting Fellow, Chicago Project on Security and Threats (CPOST), University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- August 2020- 2021 : Associate Professor of International Relations (with tenure), Webster University, St. Louis, MO
- Co-Director, Global Master of Arts in International Relations
- Director, Residential International Relations Program, 2017-2018
- Faculty Affiliate, Institute for Human Rights and Humanitarian Studies
- August 2014- July 2020: Assistant Professor of International Relations, Webster University, St. Louis, MO.
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO (2014)
- M.A., Political Science, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO (2009)
- M.A., Communication Studies, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas (2007)
- Funded by Fulbright Scholarship
- B.A., International Relations, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey (2004)
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar, Gulay Ugur Goksel, Alan Zarychta. 2022. “Political Discourse and Public Attitudes toward Syrian Refugees in Turkey” Comparative Politics.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar, Stephanie Werner and Mike Widmeier. 2021. “Violent and Nonviolent Strategies of Terrorist Organizations: How do Mixed Strategies Influence Terrorist Recruitment and Lethality?” Studies in Conflict and Terrorism.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar. 2020. “Femme Fatale: The Lethality of Female Suicide Bombers” Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 43(9): 796-814.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar. 2019. “Terror in the Classroom: Teaching Terrorism without Terrorizing” Journal of Political Science Education 15(2): 218-236.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar. 2017. “When Suicide Kills: An Empirical Analysis of the Lethality of Suicide Terrorism” International Journal of Conflict and Violence 11: 1-15.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar. 2017. “Competing to Kill: Terrorist Organizations versus Lone Wolf Terrorists” Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence 29 (3): 509-532.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar and Emel Ozdora-Aksak. (2022). Comparing National versus International Coverage of Terrorism: A Framing Analysis of the Reina Nightclub Terrorist Attack in Media and Terrorism in the 21st Century eds. Ebru Karadogan Ismayil and Elnur Ismayil, Publisher IGI Global (DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-9755-2).
Work in Progress
- Law & Order in Counterinsurgency: The Link between Insurgent Group Characteristics and The Use of Domestic Law Enforcement (with Victor Asal)
- When the Hard Target is the Right Target: The Connection between Reputation Building and Target Selection of Terror Groups (with *Alanna Johnson)
- Public Opinion on Refugee Integration and Citizenship (with Alan Zarychta and Gulay Ugur Goksel)
- Citizen-centered Counterinsurgency Strategies and their Effectiveness (Data Collection started)
- Frontline Health Workers and the Integration of Syrian Refugees (IRB submitted)
Grants, Awards, and Nominations
- University of Chicago Center for Health Administration Studies (CHAS) Seed Grant, 2022- 2024, “Street-level Bureaucrats, Public Attitudes, and Integration of Syrian Refugees in Turkey,” (Co-PIs, Burcu Pinar Alakoc and Alan Zarychta)
- University of Chicago Kiphart Center Research and Innovation in Global Health and Social Development Grant, 2022 “Frontline Health Workers and the Integration of Syrian Refugees in Turkey” (PI, Burcu Pinar Alakoc)
- University of Chicago International Institute of Research in Paris Faculty Research Grant, 2022. “Street-level Bureaucrats, Public Attitudes, and Integration of Syrian Refugees in Turkey” (PI, Burcu Pinar Alakoc and Alan Zarychta; Collaborators, Emel Ozdora-Aksak and Efe Tokdemir)
- Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) grant, 2022. “Citizen-centered Counterterrorism Strategies and Their Effectiveness” (PI, Efe Tokdemir; Collaborators, Seden Akcinaroglu and Burcu Pinar Alakoc)
- Webster University, Faculty Research Grant, 2020-21.
- The Pearson Institute for the Study and Resolution of Global Conflicts at the University of Chicago, Research and Innovation Grant (with Alan Zarychta and Gulay Ugur Goksel), 2018.
- ISA Deborah Gerner Grant for Professional Development Award, 2018 Recipient.
- Webster University, Faculty Research Grant, 2018-19.
- Webster University, Faculty Research Grant, 2015-16.
- Honorable Mention, 2012-2013 American Association of University Women International Fellowships Program.
- Nominated for Sophonisba P. Breckinridge Award for the best paper on women and politics at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, 2011.
- Graduate Training and Research Grant, University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Political Science, Summer 2012.
- The Outstanding Paper Award for the conference paper submission “Women Responsible for Peace: The Women in Black Movement” by the Women’s Caucus division of the Central States Communication Association, 2007.
- Fulbright Scholarship for 2005-2007 Academic Years for Master of Arts Degree in Communication Studies to be pursued in the United States of America
- Nominated for the Kemper Teaching Award for Excellence in Teaching, Webster University, Spring 2020.
- Leif J. Global Teaching Fellowship, Webster University Faculty Mobility Award for overseas travel and teaching in Vienna (Spring 2017), and Leiden (Summer 2021- cancelled).
- Nominated for the 2013-2014 United Government of Graduate Students Top Teacher Award, University-wide Award for Best Graduate Instructor.
Conference Presentations and Attendance
- American Political Science Association, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Penn Identity and Conflict Lab (PIC) Workshop on Syrian Refugee Resettlement Challenges in Turkey and the Middle East, University of Pennsylvania, Virtual Presentation, April 29, 2021
- Central and East European International Studies Association- International Studies Association (CEEISA-ISA Joint Conference), Summer 2019
- International Studies Association, 2016, 2018
- Midwest Political Science Association, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
- Western Political Science Association, 2013, 2016, 2017
- International Studies Association-Midwest, 2014, 2016, 2019
- International Studies Association-International, Summer 2017
- Association for Analytic Learning about Islam and Muslim Societies, Princeton University, 2015
- Annual Conference on Terrorism and Global Security: Exploring New Centers of Gravity and Clausewitz in Today’s Global Security, Washington DC, 2011
- Central States Communication Association, 2007
- 2022. University of Chicago Harper Lecture Series (Virtual), Crisis in Ukraine: The Nuclear Threat (with Dr. Robert Pape, Dr. Austin Carson and Dr. Paul Poast), University of Chicago, 23 March
- (Cancelled due to COVID-19). “Red Sea Security,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, Webster University, (Scheduled for 16 March, 2020).
- 2019. “The Turkish Attack and the American Retreat” (with Dr. Warren Rosenblum), Webster University-Civitas partnership, 16 November.
- 2019. “The Middle East: Regional Disorder,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, Webster University, 15 April.
- 2018. “Turkey: Partner in Crisis,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, Webster University, 19 March.
- 2017. “Understanding Terrorism,” St. Louis OASIS, 9 May.
- 2017. “Women’s Role in Terrorism and Counterterrorism,” Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom in St. Louis, 7 May.
- 2017. “Fatally Attractive Women: The Connection between the Use of Female Suicide Bombers and the Lethality of Suicide Attacks,” Webster Private University in Vienna, 14 February.
- 2016. “The Rise of ISIS” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, Webster University, 21 March.
- 2016. “International Relations and Cross- Cultural Experiences,” Cultural Serve Project at Maryville University, 4 March.
- 2016. “The Rise of ISIS,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, St. Louis Ethical Society, 3 March.
- 2015. Invited to the Scott Air Force Base to give a talk about “The Motivations of Female Suicide Bombers.”
- 2015. “Syria’s Refugee Crisis,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, 23 February.
- 2015. “Reflections on the Violence in France: The Changing Face of Terrorism: From a Weapon of the Weak to a Weapon of All,” Webster University, 14 January.
- KMOX/CBS Radio, Interview with Megan Lynch on “Awaiting Armageddon: KMOX Series on worst-case scenarios and preparedness.”
- The 1020 Podcast, Episode 02: Dr. Burcu Pinar Alakoc, Webster University, Vienna, March 2017.
- KMOV News (Channel 4, CBS affiliate), Interview on “Federal Terrorism Charges”, February 9, 2015.
- American Political Science Review, International Studies Quarterly, International Security, Conflict Management and Peace Science, Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence, Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political Aggression, Perspectives on Terrorism, Journal of Political Science Education, International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, and Journal of Peace Research.
Conference Discussant and Chair
- Discussant & Chair, “Disinformation and Misinformation” panel, International Studies Association Conference, 2022, Nashville, TN.
- Discussant & Chair, “Terrorism and Counterterrorism” panel, International Studies Association Midwest Conference, 2019, St. Louis, MO.
- Chair, “Explaining Varieties of Terrorism” panel, CEEISA-ISA, 2019, Belgrade, Serbia.
- Program Co-Chair and Section Head, “Undergraduate Research: IR & Comparative,” Midwest Political Science Association Conference, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- Discussant & Chair, “Peacekeeping and Civil Conflict” panel, International Studies Association Midwest Conference, 2016, St. Louis, MO.
- Panelist, “Challenging Boundaries” panel, “Webster University Human Rights Conference: Equality before the Law,” 2016, St. Louis, MO.
- Chair, “Gendered War; Gendered Peace” panel, American Political Science Association Conference, 2016, Philadelphia, PA.
- Discussant & Chair, “Terrorism and Its Roots” panel, Midwest Political Science Association Conference, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- Discussant & Chair, “Frontiers of Turkish Politics” panel, Midwest Political Science Association Conference, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- American Political Science Association
- Midwest Political Science Association
- International Studies Association
- Western Political Science Association
Field Research Experience
- Qualitative Interviews: Turkey, primarily Istanbul, Hatay, Gaziantep, Eskisehir: Summer 2018, December 2019.