For a pdf version of my CV, click here
- Fall 2021- : Associate Instructional Professor, Committee on International Relations, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 2020-21 AY: Visiting Fellow, Chicago Project on Security and Threats (CPOST), University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- August 2020- 2021 : Associate Professor of International Relations (with tenure), Webster University, St. Louis, MO
- Co-Director, Global Master of Arts in International Relations
- Director, Residential International Relations Program, 2017-2018
- Faculty Affiliate, Institute for Human Rights and Humanitarian Studies
- August 2014- July 2020: Assistant Professor of International Relations, Webster University, St. Louis, MO
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO (2014)
- M.A., Political Science, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO (2009)
- M.A., Communication Studies, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas (2007)
- Funded by Fulbright Scholarship
- B.A., International Relations, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey (2004)
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar, Gulay Ugur Goksel, Alan Zarychta. 2021. “Political Discourse and Public Attitudes toward Syrian Refugees in Turkey” Comparative Politics.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar, Stephanie Werner and Mike Widmeier. 2021. “Violent and Nonviolent Strategies of Terrorist Organizations: How do Mixed Strategies Influence Terrorist Recruitment and Lethality?” Studies in Conflict and Terrorism.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar. 2020. “Femme Fatale: The Lethality of Female Suicide Bombers” Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 43(9): 796-814.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar. 2019. “Terror in the Classroom: Teaching Terrorism without Terrorizing” Journal of Political Science Education 15(2): 218-236.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar. 2017. “When Suicide Kills: An Empirical Analysis of the Lethality of Suicide Terrorism” International Journal of Conflict and Violence 11: 1-15.
- Alakoc, Burcu Pinar. 2017. “Competing to Kill: Terrorist Organizations versus Lone Wolf Terrorists” Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence 29 (3): 509-532.
Work in Progress
- Threat Perceptions, Integration and Citizenship: The Case of Syrian Refugees in Turkey (with Alan Zarychta and Gulay Ugur Goksel)
- Comparing National versus International Coverage of Terrorism: Framing Analysis of the Reina Nightclub Terrorist Attack (with Emel Ozdora-Aksak).
- Women and Nonviolent Activism: An Analysis of the Women in Black Movement (Invited to Revise & Resubmit).
- Insurgent Group Characteristics and the Variation in Counterinsurgency Responses (with Victor Asal)
- The Interplay of Public and Private Goods in Suicide Terrorism: A Comparison of Hamas and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- From Suicide Bombers to Peacemakers: The Role of Women in Counterterrorism.
- Grant Proposal: Making the World Safe for Refugees: The Effects of Recognition and Positive Political Discourse on Reducing Violence against Syrian Refugees (with Alan Zarychta and Gulay Ugur Goksel).
Honors, Awards, and Nominations
- Webster University, Faculty Research Grant, 2020-21.
- The Pearson Institute for the Study and Resolution of Global Conflicts at the University of Chicago, Research and Innovation Grant (with Alan Zarychta and Gulay Ugur Goksel), 2018.
- ISA Deborah Gerner Grant for Professional Development Award, 2018 Recipient.
- Webster University, Faculty Research Grant, 2018-19.
- Webster University, Faculty Research Grant, 2015-16.
- Honorable Mention, 2012-2013 American Association of University Women International Fellowships Program.
- Nominated for Sophonisba P. Breckinridge Award for the best paper on women and politics at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, 2011.
- Graduate Training and Research Grant, University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Political Science, Summer 2012.
- The Outstanding Paper Award for the conference paper submission “Women Responsible for Peace: The Women in Black Movement” by the Women’s Caucus division of the Central States Communication Association, 2007.
- Fulbright Scholarship for 2005-2007 Academic Years for Master of Arts Degree in Communication Studies to be pursued in the United States of America.
- Nominated for the Kemper Teaching Award for Excellence in Teaching, Webster University, Spring 2020.
- Leif J. Global Teaching Fellowship, Webster University Faculty Mobility Award for overseas travel and teaching in Vienna (Spring 2017), and Leiden (Summer 2021).
- Nominated for the 2013-2014 United Government of Graduate Students Top Teacher Award, University-wide Award for Best Graduate Instructor.
Conference Presentations and Attendance
- Penn Identity and Conflict Lab (PIC) Workshop on Syrian Refugee Resettlement Challenges in Turkey and the Middle East, University of Pennsylvania, Virtual Presentation, April 29, 2021
- American Political Science Association, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020
- Central and East European International Studies Association- International Studies Association (CEEISA-ISA Joint Conference), Summer 2019
- International Studies Association, 2016, 2018
- Midwest Political Science Association, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
- Western Political Science Association, 2013, 2016, 2017
- International Studies Association-Midwest, 2014, 2016, 2019
- International Studies Association-International, Summer 2017
- Association for Analytic Learning about Islam and Muslim Societies, Princeton University, 2015
- Annual Conference on Terrorism and Global Security: Exploring New Centers of Gravity and Clausewitz in Today’s Global Security, Washington DC, 2011
- Central States Communication Association, 2007
- (Cancelled due to COVID-19). “Red Sea Security,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, Webster University, (Scheduled for 16 March, 2020).
- 2019. “The Turkish Attack and the American Retreat” (with Dr. Warren Rosenblum), Webster University-Civitas partnership, 16 November.
- 2019. “The Middle East: Regional Disorder,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, Webster University, 15 April.
- 2018. “Turkey: Partner in Crisis,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, Webster University, 19 March.
- 2017. “Understanding Terrorism,” St. Louis OASIS, 9 May.
- 2017. “Women’s Role in Terrorism and Counterterrorism,” Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom in St. Louis, 7 May.
- 2017. “Fatally Attractive Women: The Connection between the Use of Female Suicide Bombers and the Lethality of Suicide Attacks,” Webster Private University in Vienna, 14 February.
- 2016. “The Rise of ISIS” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, Webster University, 21 March.
- 2016. “International Relations and Cross- Cultural Experiences,” Cultural Serve Project at Maryville University, 4 March.
- 2016. “The Rise of ISIS,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, St. Louis Ethical Society, 3 March.
- 2015. Invited to the Scott Air Force Base to give a talk about “The Motivations of Female Suicide Bombers.”
- 2015. “Syria’s Refugee Crisis,” Great Decisions Speaker Series: World Affairs Council of St. Louis, 23 February.
- 2015. “Reflections on the Violence in France: The Changing Face of Terrorism: From a Weapon of the Weak to a Weapon of All,” Webster University, 14 January.
- KMOX/CBS Radio, Interview with Megan Lynch on “Awaiting Armageddon: KMOX Series on worst-case scenarios and preparedness.”
- The 1020 Podcast, Episode 02: Dr. Burcu Pinar Alakoc, Webster University, Vienna, March 2017.
- KMOV News (Channel 4, CBS affiliate), Interview on “Federal Terrorism Charges”, February 9, 2015.
- American Political Science Review, International Studies Quarterly, International Security, Conflict Management and Peace Science, Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence, Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political Aggression, Perspectives on Terrorism, Journal of Political Science Education, International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, and Journal of Peace Research.
Conference Discussant and Chair
- Discussant & Chair, “Terrorism and Counterterrorism” panel, International Studies Association Midwest Conference, 2019, St. Louis, MO.
- Chair, “Explaining Varieties of Terrorism” panel, CEEISA-ISA, 2019, Belgrade, Serbia.
- Program Co-Chair and Section Head, “Undergraduate Research: IR & Comparative,” Midwest Political Science Association Conference, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- Discussant & Chair, “Peacekeeping and Civil Conflict” panel, International Studies Association Midwest Conference, 2016, St. Louis, MO.
- Panelist, “Challenging Boundaries” panel, “Webster University Human Rights Conference: Equality before the Law,” 2016, St. Louis, MO.
- Chair, “Gendered War; Gendered Peace” panel, American Political Science Association Conference, 2016, Philadelphia, PA.
- Discussant & Chair, “Terrorism and Its Roots” panel, Midwest Political Science Association Conference, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- Discussant & Chair, “Frontiers of Turkish Politics” panel, Midwest Political Science Association Conference, 2015, Chicago, IL.
Departmental and University Service
- Co-Director of the Global Programs, Fall 2, 2018- now.
- Director of the Residential Programs in International Relations, Fall 2017- Spring 2018.
- Global Citizenship Program, Course Assessment.
- The Dean Designee for INTL 6900/Graduate Theses Reviewing, Approval, and Change of Grade Authorization, Summer 2017.
- Member, Overview Book Committee, 2017-2018.
- Faculty Fellow at the Institute for Human Rights and Humanitarian Studies.
- Faculty Panelist, “Challenging Boundaries” panel at the 2016 Webster University, Human Rights Conference: “Equality Before the Law,” St. Louis, MO.
- Faculty Member, Sigma Iota Rho, the Honor Society for International Studies, Webster Charter, (Fall 2016- present).
- Lead Instructor, INTL 5000 Online, Introduction to International Relations, Fall 2016- present.
- Member, Departmental Faculty Search Committee, Fall 2016.
- Member, Multicultural Studies Committee, Webster University, Spring 2016- present.
- Reviewer, the Webster International Relations Review: The Graduate Student Working Paper Series (WIRR), Editorial Review Board, (Spring 2016- present).
- Faculty Mobility Fellowship, Vienna Campus, Webster, Spring 1, 2017.
- Presidential Scholarship Competition, Faculty Interview Panelist, February 13, 2016.
- American Political Science Association
- Midwest Political Science Association
- International Studies Association
- Western Political Science Association
Field Research Experience
- Qualitative Interviews: Turkey, primarily Istanbul, Hatay, Gaziantep, Eskisehir: Summer 2018, December 2019.
- Languages: Turkish (native), English (fluent), German (Intermediate level)
- Data analysis software: STATA and NVivo